This brick residence was built (circa 1855) for Dr Emil Renner, Wentworth’s first doctor, who arrived from Adelaide on horseback. He was escorted by Hugh Jamieson of Mildura Station and Ned Bagot of Moorna Station, who were concerned for the medical needs of the District. When Dr Renner left in 1870, Joseph Gurney, who operated as a wool fellmonger, acquired the home and it became known as Gurneys. When Lock 10 was to be built, the house was purchased and enlarged to become the home of Mr GF Hickson, Engineer-in-charge of the construction. The house was then named Edith Cottage after Mr Hickson’s wife, Edith.
Built in 1929, Lock 10 plays an important role in the Murray-Darling water system. Lock 10 is one of 13 locks and 15 weirs situated along the Murray River. The locks and weirs maintain a high water level for navigation and pumping and is intrinsic today as an irrigation source. Situated 830kms from the Murray Mouth, the lock and weir were completed in 1929. The lower pool level of the Boule designed weir is 28.4 metres above sea level and the upper pool level is 31.77 metres above sea level. The length of the weir, not including the lock is 117 metres. A construction camp was set up opposite the current Lock Master’s residence but after construction was completed, the cottages were removed to other areas of Wentworth.