Drive through the open plains from Tilpa to Wilcannia.
Stay a while and meet some of the locals at the the Tilpa Hotel, Established in 1894. The Tilpa Hotel is considered one of the last remaining true bush pubs in Australia. Grown from a river boat trade along the Darling River, the hotel/pub is the heart of Tilpa and an favourite attraction to both travellers and locals.
Some of the most scenic driving along the Darling River is on the east road between Tilpa and Wilcannia. The Coach and Horses Campground is part of the Paroo-Darling National Park and the entrance is approximately 120km west of Tilpa. The campsite is a perfect spot to kayak & fish. There are sheltered picnic tables, non flush toilets and gas BBQ’s available for use.
Wilcannia was once one of Australia’s busiest inland ports. You’ll find the Wilcannia of today a much quieter place, but its historic architecture is well worth a look. Some of the Wilcannia’s historic treasures include the old centre-lift bridge which was built in 1896 and is now classified by the National Trust, the beautiful 1880 post office and its attached residence.
Tilpa to Wilcannia | WESTERN ROUTE: West Tilpa Road (Unsealed) 128km
Tilpa to Wilcannia | EAST ROUTE: East Tilpa Road (Unsealed) 147km